View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #18
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Refining "Sierra"

With Christmas right around the corner, I have had limited shop time. I have been somewhat perplexed on exactly how I wanted the design of my storage box for behind the seat. The pressed board unit that was there from the factory was not in great shape. I found a replacement unit is available, but I just couldn't make myself spend 100.00 for a fancy piece of cardboard. There had to be a better solution.

Its been a lot of years since I spent time designing speaker boxes or installing stereo equipment. I had to dust off the cobwebs in my head to see if I still had what it takes. The main body of the storage box is simple enough. Where I ran in to design issues was the corner speakers.

The Sierra came with a nice set of Kenwood 5x10s installed. Unfortunately whoever installed them in the factory 6x9 corner mounts used rather crude techniques. I tried to improve what was there, and realized quickly that wasnt going to please me. I decided to emulate the corner brackets with 1/2" MDF, but was not pleased with the results of that version either.

I'm no audio expert, but I do have a decent amount of installation and design knowledge. No matter how I tried to adjust the mounting angle, the 5x10 was firing at the back of the seat. That is just not conducive to sound quality. I scrapped that plan, and started from scratch.

I have more time than I care to admit, and I am still not through with tweaking the cosmetics. As far as function, I have improved the corner design dramatically. In return the aesthetics aren't exactly what I had in mind, but its a compromise that I feel I can live with. Once its covered it wont stand out as much.

Please note that the cardboard top is just a template for a cover. Also note that the OEM grill will be painted to match.

To discuss this thread go here- LINK
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-16-2015 at 02:04 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote