View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
sparkydog

Re: Porsche 944: Actually there is a substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Listen to this guy Flounder, he's in pre-med.
Hey! Are you guys playing cards?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Buy a whole C5/6 vette rolling chassis on ebay for 5-6k with LSX and rear trans! The vette is not too wide, the Porsche just needs to convinced to fit
I definitely want some critical feedback and ideas about what I'm doing. So here's my reasoning for ruling out the vette equipment. a) Too much scratch for my budget and lifestyle. I'm hoping to come in around $5k total for all 2-3 vehicles that are in this mashup so the vette stuff busts my budget. And then when the vette stuff wears (brake pads, bushings for example) it's spendy. b) I'm trying to stay away from exterior body work on this project. Halfbreed kinda kicked my ass. So the vette suspension would require either the body kit for the Porsche or, expensive machining time to shorten the axles. c) Replacement parts for the vette suspension are just as spendy as leaving the Porsche parts on there.

So with that being said I sort of crossed off the vette option and then moved on to looking for IRS but no rear transaxle. The only domestic vehicle that I am aware of (that can take 300 rwhp reliably) is the Mustang/Explorer IRS but maybe I am overlooking something? There are Euro and Asian cars with beefy IRS but they too are expensive to acquire and expensive to repair when they wear/break.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote