View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #47
mister.freeze

Re: Calling all 700R4 Experts!

ALL- Thank you for your input and sharing your thoughts. I am by no means an expert, nor do I claim to be. This truck has, over the years, had transmission rebuilds by different shops in different places. After each, with the current setup, the transmission worked as advertised. I always just chalked up the failures to 1)my driving habits (young buck) and 2) a standard rebuild against my stroker motor. These days, though, I just commute to work, on city streets, under 50mph. The bracketry hasn't changed, nor was suggested until this thread, leading me to think that it worked in the past, so why would that be such an issue now? Failures traditionally were the loss of both 2 and 4, not just 4. My fluid change yielded no concerns, and the transmission was fine afterwards for 1500 miles. Doing nothing but commute, I lost 4th gear. So, just to eliminate it, I installed the geometry correction bracket. No result. At first...

Driving to work yesterday morning, I did not like how the transmission shifted: early and soft. No 4th gear either. So I did it manually that morning. On the way home, It seemed like I had a weak 4th gear!
So I tightened up the TV cable about 3/16". Better this morning. I'm at a loss. After all these years, and actual transmission people using the old bracketry, was this my problem all along? Did I have too much tension on the TV cable? What happened to cause the loss of 4th gear without even changing the old setup? How does it work now, when it worked months ago, by moving the attachment of the TV cable 1/2" aft of where it was? So confused.

Bottom line, though, is that 4th seems to be back. Should I change the fluid again to get the Lucas oil out or leave it?