View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #36
Orange Crate

Re: Another NV4500 to NP205

Alrighty then. I got a cheap clamshell style puller online to see if it would work and it did for two of the three bearings. The one bearing it will not work on is the tapered roller on the forward side of the counter shaft. I'll cut that one off just to save time.

Here is the new puller in action. I had to use an old piece of DOM tube as a spacer since the one provided in the kit was too long. One thing that was really frustrating is that the new tool has no place to counter hold, to stop it from spinning. I may weld a couple of flats on there for future use. So both the main and counter shafts are completely disassembled now and they both look in really good shape. I can tell this NV has been overhauled at least once before as there are a few clues like silicon sealant and a few scratches on the shafts where the bearings reside. I'll need all new bearings and syncros and a new input shaft as that is toast. The splines are really worn where the clutch disk was riding and the stub nose where it joins the flywheel pilot bearing is also trashed. I just need to sell a kidney or something to get the rebuild kit.....
Attached Images