View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Nomadicflyer

72 C20 Camper Special Shocks?

Hello, All! I hope you and your projects are well.

I've searched and found little to go on, here. Sorry if this question was recently discussed. I have a 72 C20 with the Camper Special (Or do I? SPID attached).

I can't find all kinds of things for this thing, due to the options. Currently, I'm fighting new shocks that don't fit. The rear shocks mount points are 1/2 inch bracket dog ears at the top, 5/8 inch mount stud at the bottom. The shocks I pulled off seem to be modified (steel bushing punched out of the rubbers on lowers).

The shocks NAPA have listed are 1/2 inch upper and lower bushings, and would need punched out at the bottom mounts to fit my truck. I don't want to do that if there's a better option.

I'm guessing the issue arises from the heavy duty front and rear suspension parts listed in the SPID. I'm guessing the Camper Special option, although the only thing that says Camper Special concerns wiring. Without the heavier gear, I'd bet the auto parts offerings would conform a little more to the machine.

Anyone have an off the shelf option that works? Figured I would ask before I start modifying parts or the truck, or installing shocks that are under rated for my application. I do haul and tow, this has been my work truck for decades.

Thank you all,

Now to track down the brakes hoses that no one seems to carry.......

Kevin
Attached Images