View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Re: Brake warning light help.

Too funny. OK I grounded the brake warning light and it does come on when the key is in the "On" position. Right now I can't test it in the "Start" position because I'm in the middle of a carb overhaul. When hooked up to the prop valve switch, the warning light does NOT come on in the "On" position. Are the Temp & Brake lights supposed to come on in only the "Start" position, or in the "On" and "Start" positions, and then go off when running?

I checked for a black (ground) wire at the ignition switch. I do not have one. The GM type ignition switch connection was prewired by Painless. This all started as a result of replacing my harness with the Painless harness. I am not able to get the Temp light or Brake light working. With this kit there is a Temp Gauge wire (Green #921). There is also a separate Temp light wire (Green #983). Both wires come out in the engine compartment. I tested the temp gauge by putting the Green #921 wire to ground and turning on the key. The needle pegged hot, which is what I would expect. I tested the temp light by putting the Green wire #983 to ground and turning key to "On". The light worked. I also tested the Brake light by putting the wire (Tan #975) to ground and turning the key to "On". This also worked.

I called Painless today to see how the two temp wires were supposed to be hooked up. They told me they are both intended to be connected to the temp sender. However when I connect them together and put them on the sender, the light does not come on in the "On" position. The same goes for the brake light; once connected to the prop valve switch it does not light in the "On" position (again unless they are supposed to only light during "Start", which I can't check right now). According to Painless they told me that their harness is not designed to go through the test light mode during cranking. The only way to make these lights work would be to connect them separately to a 12v source that only comes on during cranking, which would be starter solenoid wire (purple #919) at the ign switch. It seems that if I did this these lights would only serve a function of lighting during cranking and would not provide any protection indication as they were designed.

I'm confused on this because the Temp light wire (Green #983) and Brake light wire (Tan #975) go into the ignition switch as well as the instrument panel. Wouldn't you think if they went into the switch it would be to provide a momentary ground path for them to light during cranking? The other wire for the Temp Gauge (Green #921) does not go through the ign switch, but I would expect that it wouldn't; just like the stock wiring diagram shows.

I was thinking that maybe my prop valve was shot and not working, but that might not be the case if the Painless harness is not designed to test the lights during start up. What can I do to check this out? Any help is greatly appreciated.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote