View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 10:42 PM   #95
msg

Re: Fixin Dixie - 66 Short Bed Fleetside

I tried to avoid making the cut to the rocker panel but its width was 1/4 inch too long. So I cut it and removed 1/4 inch and tacked it back together and did what Vince suggested and too the snips and cut the curved portion of the rocker panel that flows into the pillar so I could smack it in place a bit better.

Then I hung the door back, and I taped some 1/8 inch thick paint stick scraps into the door jamb to help set the gap. The edges line up pretty good from the door edges to the rocker panel edges.

But then I found that there is a pretty good distance where the base flange of the rocker to the cab floor flange that it supposed to wrap around. Maybe as I get to tacking it in place and i get about 1/8 gap between the door base and the top of the rocker, then as I try to pinch/clamp the base of the rocker to the cab floor edge that the gap wont be so bad. But it sure looks like a alot to me. Around a half inch too low. Anyone got some experience with this?

Also, I knew I would eventually need the fender to get everything aligned. Its funny how about 3 years ago when I last worked on this fender I had so much to repair I caved on the mangled dent that the PO had used some screws to pull it out the best he could and then body filed over it all. I thought at the time that I would do the same. But after looking at it I had to fix it. And the epoxy primer paint run I did.

Thats all I got for today. Ill see what I can do with this rocker panel deal tomorrow.