View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #48
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Nothing fun to update.

Was able to get the brakes bleed last weekend. I had a pretty good leak where the rear flex hose meets the hardline on the frame. Fought with it for quite a while trying to get it to stop leaking. Previous to that I couldn't get any fluid out from anywhere. I blew some air back through the lines and everything seemed to start flowing. So thats done. I still need to do something for ebrakes but thats further down the list.

I spent last Sunday tearing apart 2 steering columns to make a good one. All I had to work with was 2 early non tilt auto columns. Not what I wanted but it was gonna have to work for now. Everything came apart well. I cleaned the parts. Rebuilt greased the bearings. Painted everything with epoxy. Monday night I put everything back together. It went together slightly more difficult than I was expecting. I had to take it back apart several times to get everything "right"

Then last night I put the column back in the truck. Everything looked good until I went to put the intermediate shaft up on the column. The early one has a spline shaft not the D shaft or whatever its called. Which was fine, I swapped ends over from a spare shaft I had. But the shaft on the column wouldn't come out far enough for the bolt to fit through the clamp. UGH.

I took part of the column back apart at the steering column side to try and figure out what happened. No luck. Even if I leave the cab side loose and put the shaft and clamp on I was unable to get the steering wheel side back together and get the snap ring on. BLAH!

I contacted Gmtiltsteeringcolumn.com and he has a late model tilt/auto column that he custom shortened for sale. Hes gonna take the 3-4 spare columns I have in on trade to help bring the cost down of the custom refurb column. This will be way better anyway. I wanted a shorter column to start. I wanted it to tilt, and I needed it to have wipers so I dont have to cut a hole in the dash. So all will be better soon.

Nothing much else to mention. Still waiting on my harness from GMACHINZ....
cruizin01 is offline   Reply With Quote