View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #16
SBTork
Garage wrench

Re: 700R4 help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPup1977 View Post
This is the stuff you get into when buying used transmissions, seems like most people will spend thousands on getting their engine where they think they need it (600 HP) but spend very little on a transmission.....by any chance, did you drive the vehicle your 700r4 came out of ? Why was this used transmission pulled out of the vehicle, any history ? What happens when you spend the money for transgo kit and EZ system and whatever you replace on this trans and it still doesnt work ?
Where is made2drag at,when this guy needs him, shift it from 3rd to 4th back and forth, most likely will fix it....
I fully agree and know that this was a possibility when buying a used transmission. I have no money into the drivetrain and am prepared to fast track my LS swap if this doesn't pan out. I'm into the used transmission for $50 so I am prepared to stick a little money in it and then go from there. I did not drive the truck the 700R4 came out of. The transmission was pulled because my friend bought the '89 as a parts truck for his '94 and didn't need the transmission. Thanks for your help, and for asking the right questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
If you have second and third there are very few reasons why fourth would not work. As mentioned - a governor malfunction, sticking shift valve in valve body or something out of place with the servo.

Also that '89 transmission was wired to have the ecm turn on the torque converter clutch. An '83 truck would not have had ecm control. Instead a vacuum switch and pressure switches on the valve body controlled the TCC.
My thoughts exactly. I figured no 4th would be a somewhat straight forward fix with only a couple things possibly causing it. The transmission I got for it was a GM Goodwrench reman years ago and has sat for a few years so maybe it's as simple as something sticking in the TV system. I have a SK700 Jr shift kit to go in it, it's basically a sticking TV fix so I think that will help too. Also, I'm with you and think you're very right on the lockup situation. I bought the painless kit to get it working in my K5 and will update this post when it's installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by made2drag View Post
Mine wasn't going into 4th. I manually shifted from 4th to 3rd, then 3rd to 4th many, many times for about 5 miles and it finally shifted and is fine now. I bought the k5 that had not been driven in decades, so I'm thinking mine was just sticking.
Oh nice that this was a fix for you. It could very well be the situation with mine too since the donor transmission for my K5 sat for several years too. I've got a few parts to replace and I'm going to drive it again to see if it helped.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote