View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #52
Spf79

Re: 1972 Build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
good progress, read up on tilts and tanks, some good info out there.

My new tank was brazed on, used a dremel cut off wheel to get rid of brazing, just kept grinding the gold til I got down to the silver. the nuts were another challenge. your old tank is easier as it is soldered on. Just cut it off with tin snips, start a hole with a sharp chisel and follow it up with the snips.

Tilt may require some special tools or creative thinking, the first thing you will take off is the turn signal cover, and some of them seem to be quite stuck, here is where you have to be creative on the puller, you don't want to distort the sheet metal
Next step, than you will run into is the pins that have to be pulled out. I made some threaded pullers with spacers out of long bolts and nuts of the correct thread size

also, the top nut that holds the upper bearing on was a goofy size
Yes sir! I have been reading a ton on here... I think any way you look at it the tank proceedure to switch necks does not look very fun. .

The tilt was supposedly gone through. Originally it was a van tilt. I still want to take it apart, clean it and paint it. Also check how the shaft was lengthened, hopefully with a coupling. If someone took the trouble to go through it... you would assume they would have painted the internals before reassembling? I guess I will find out soon enough. Lol. I read a tutorial on how to disassemble the tilt and it made my eye twitch.