View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #22
JohnJ@RideTech

Re: Ridetech streetgrip ??s

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Actually I'll have to disagree with that. GM didn't think it was a poor design as 1 ton trucks used this design up to '91 (depending on body style). They are very heavy duty and if kept properly greased, they have almost no wear. Most wear was from neglect. The rubber bushings came about because of two primary reason, cost, as they were cheaper to make and assemble and comfort. Rubber bushings allow for deflection which made harshness and vibration less. Trucks were becoming more "plush" especially the 1/2 ton models. As the rubber aged, they deflect even more (to the point of rubber becoming missing) and alignment would change much more than the screw in bushing.

Since the screw in style arms only have one "ear" that the bushing rides in, I would question anyone just pressing in bushing into these arms as there is no inner ear like the later model arms have. I would think welding the sleeve in would be a requirement, not an option. Eventually these shells would start to walk in the opening under load, if not welded to the arm. Upper arms are not as critical as they don't see the same loading but lower arms take the brunt of the forces.

My .02 worth. Not looking to get into a pissing match but I do want to make sure people understand what they are getting into when modifying suspensions. Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.
No problem at all Mike, no offense taken. I appreciate your input.
The blue and white 72 C10 you see in our advertisements is one of several StreetGrip equipped vehicles that we utilize here at home base for dealer visits, transportation to car shows as well as R&D. That particular truck has been back and forth from Jasper Indiana to Dallas Texas and back twice this year alone and has actually been auto crossed multiple times. Before the kit was put into production we tried just about everything possible to see what it would take to cause premature wear or component failure before it was ever turned loose to our customers. The kit has been around for several years now and I have yet to see any bushing or sleeve failures outside of installation error.
Office: 812-482-2932
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Instagram: @ridetech_john
JohnJ@RideTech is offline   Reply With Quote