View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #8
88lowrider

Re: Wirning for all 4 headlights for High beams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Skier View Post
First you will need to cut the wiring to the headlights. It is easiest to cut it close to the battery. Not sure how your truck is wired but I've seen where the headlights are in a "T" configuration on the drivers side and I've seen where they ran 2 wires to the drivers side and 1 wire to the passenger side. Don't cut them too short if you intend to reuse the headlight connectors.

The low beam and high beam wires from the truck need to run into either 85 or 86 of the relay. The other connector (85/86) needs to be connected directly to ground. A diode needs to be connected from the high beam signal to the low beam signal with the band closest to the low beam signal.

Either 87 or 30 on the relays need to be connected through a fuse to the battery. Then the last terminal goes to their respective low beam or high beam headlight.

I recommend soldering and heatshrinking all connections except the relay and headlight terminals.

There are other ways of doing this. This way runs all the headlights off the battery instead of using the wiring from the cab of the truck reducing a lot of load. This requires the fewest number of relays and fuses, but does require the factory wiring to be completely cut. If the wiring isn't completely cut, the diode could attempt to feed the headlights and fail.

I recommend using:
20 A fuses for each pair of headlights
Standard 30 A 12 VDC relays
Insulated terminals for the relays (or wiring harness for them)
1 A diode (1N4401 or similar)

Remember to test stuff as you go along. If you install the diode in reverse polarity the high beams will stay on with the low beams and will shut off when you turn the high beams on.
After looking at your circuit design, I can see how it works..
The relays they gave me are some other foreign ones that do not have numbers, But, I found the pin out for them. It has two on the wiring loom that I got from LMC so looking at that loom and your wiring diagram circuit and add the diodes.
This loom has heavier wire and plugs in back towards the firewall. Its more complicated as it also feeds the turn signals and running lights.
Your wiring diagram is a solid heavy duty design and I like it.

Oh, the only change I would have done is not fuses but the breakers.

I will use some of my Marine 16ga wiring and use your design on my 76 Dodge Van.. It came with the big round bulbs but I use a tube grill and Monty Carlo head light buckets.
Low beams comes on, the goes off for the High beams..
I want them Both on when on High.

Thank you Very much for the Help
Helmar

Last edited by 88lowrider; 08-03-2017 at 07:35 PM.
88lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote