View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
mr48chev

Re: 47 3100 S10 SWAP need your input

On the drop spindles, put the truck together with the stock spindles off the long bed, run it around the block and then back up and look, Delayed process yes but you won't have to undo it if you put it together with the drop spindles and don't like them I am thinking that I will need a set for my stock frame with Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember and Dakota suspension but I'll wait until it's together to make a final decision. For you it's a two hour process after you have it together to change spindles so it isn't a biggie.
I think the other guys are doing what you are thinking of on the brakes, the one in question matches the brakes on the truck and keeps things simple. It might not be as pretty or fancy as some aftermarket ones but you won't be worrying if it is going to stop right.
A few years ago I drug home and 86 S-10 4x4 blazer because I wanted the rear axle and the gas tank, It was free for towing away before scrap got high and there wasn't supposed to be a title with it. Got it home and looked under it the next day and no gas tank. Finally pulled it apart and pulled the rear axle and there were about 4 teeth out of the ring gear and the pinion had severe dental problems. Gave some pieces to a coworker who needed them for her Blazer and started taking it apart. Got the body loose from the frame and flipped it off and the glove box popped open and there was the title. Half hour later the shell was at my friend's wrecking yard in his crusher pile. The frame and what was left of the engine and trans went to scrap. I ended up giving the rear axle housing to the husband of one of my former students who needed it because his housing in his rig was bent but the rest was good.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote