Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #1919
Ben_Yeaton

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
Drop spindles (theoretically), have the steering arm positioned to keep the tie rod in the OE geometry. So, they should have appx the same bump curve as a stock truck. I would think that moving the tie rod end to the bottom of the steering arm (using stock steering components for the rest of the system) would produce much worse bump steer, as it would be way too much of a change. keeping the tie rod end 'level' is not really the goal. Having it match to the I.C. (instant center) is, and it may not 'look' right, even when it is.
That's great information, thanks for answering. I guess it would be best to get under and measure for my I.C. and go from there. Right now the lower arms are close to flat, and the uppers are much higher at the spindle. The tie rod angle does look steep, but I'll do my best to get a rough I.C. value and then see if it would be better above or below the steering knuckle. As you mentioned, just because it looks wrong doesn't mean it's not spot on.

Is there any preference to have the I.C. error on the high or low side if there must be an error? Or is the "closest to perfect" approach applied?

When measuring for I.C. is it best to work with a protractor and get angles of the arms and tie rods, or measure up from level ground for locations to map out and calculate from there?

As I mentioned before, I'll be doing the caster mod soon, so that would only raise the tie rod mounting point slightly from where it is now it seems. This MAY give more reason to mount below if the I.C. shows the values are close.

When I get a chance to go out and get some measurements I'll be sure to post what I find. Thanks again!
Ben_Yeaton is offline   Reply With Quote