View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #25
ChevyTech

Re: Brake light on. Codes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr79C10 View Post
GREAT thread!!
I started same thread, but mine didnt get into such great detail about how to go about fixing the problem,

MUCH THANKS for the info!
5 star rated thread!
Thank you!

This thread is one of the links I listed up in the FAQs sticky.

Being this thread is getting viewed so many times I am going to add some more information that has not been asked for but may help people repair their vehicles.

Codes for Dodge RWAL, Ford RABS and GM RWAL applications are similar but have a few differences:
1. Should not occur (replace the controller if it does)
2. Open isolation valve circuit or defective ABS module
3. Open dump valve circuit or defective ABS module
4. Grounded or closed RABS or RWAL valve switch
5. Excessive actuations of dump valve during ABS braking
6. Erratic speed sensor signal
7. Shorted isolation valve or defective ABS module
8. Shorted dump valve or defective ABS module
9. High resistance or open speed sensor circuit (resistance should be 1000 to 2500 ohms)
10. Low speed sensor resistance (Dodge & Ford only). On Chevrolet trucks the code 10 is for the brake light switch circuit.
11. Open speed sensor circuit (GM only) 1993 manual states this is a invalid code.
12. Stop lamp switch circuit (Dodge & Ford)
13. ABS module speed processor (Dodge & Ford only)
14. ABS module program (Dodge & Ford only)
15. ABS module RAM memory failure (Dodge & Ford)

Beginning in August 1990 (this date does not match in all information on when the change took place), a change was made to the RWAL module on all General Motors vehicles. The change transforms codes 6, 9 and 10 into "soft" (non-latching) codes that only illuminate the warming light as long as the fault is occurring. If the fault is intermittent and no longer exists, the light will go out with the next ignition cycle.
The diagnostic procedures for the code 6, 9 and 10 remains the same.
A scan tool can be used on the newer GM applications to read any soft (non-latching) codes.

On the modules built after Aug 1990 grounding the "H" terminal on the ALDL connector erases soft codes.

Last edited by ChevyTech; 02-18-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Add more for people using sticky
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote