View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: alternator wire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsteele View Post
i am not trying to hijack this thread, but seems like a good place to ask a question. I am in the process of doing the internal conversion. I cut the blue and brown wires at the clip and crimped them together(from the faq section). I know this is going to sound stupid, but do i plug the clip back in on the rad. Support? I try to follow steps as i read them, but it never says to plug it back in.
What FAQ were you using? The one by Toddtheodd is the correct way to do it.

This picture shows the procedure. The brown and blue wires are not clipped together. The brown and white wires are clipped together and the blue and red are clipped together. Then the white wire is connected to the no. 1 terminal on the alternator and the blue wire is connected to the alternator at terminal no.2. The white wire is shown as black on the picture.
Todd eliminates the blue wire connection by running a short jumper from the large stud on the back of the alternator to the no. 2 terminal. This will work but the picture way of doing it gives a more efficient voltage drop sensing to the alternator internal regulator. Then you can remove the external regulator on the radiator support and the clip will no longer be used.

Most of the auto parts stores sell the rectangular white plastic plug that plugs into the alternator so you can splice the wires together and connect them to the alternator.

Name:  Jumpered_alt.jpg
Views: 6191
Size:  62.4 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote