View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 09:11 PM   #25
dougs69c10

Re: caddy 500 vs gm crate 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed455 View Post
The olds 455 is great (notice my screen name), but has horsepower limitations. Even with BIG money you will struggle to get really good horsepower numbers. The last BB Olds (496 cid) I built made a shade over 625 hp and had aluminum rods, aftermarket heads with $$$ porting, full roller valvetrain, Dominator, etc. I had about 12K in that motor. On my income, I realized I cannot afford to continue to live (and race) in the land of Olds, as much as I love them. There are some GREAT folks on realoldspower.com by the way, even though I'm now considered a convert to the dark side for going to Chevy.

In stockish form however, they make NICE torque. They were designed to move land yachts. The factory stroke on the 455 is 4.25". Long stroke and small bore (4.125") makes for GRUNT.

The Caddy motors are the same scenario. I don't know the specs, but they were designed to move 6000 lb. luxury liners at a respectable speed and accelerate them with great purpose. As for the valve train issues and higher RPM's: that misses the who point of the Caddy motor. With 3.07 gears and a 500 caddy engine, you don't NEED to turn anny serious RPM's. You will already have tire smoking issues.

By the way, if you bolt the 472 heads on the 500 motor you gain a full point of compression. There was an article in a Car Craft or Hotrod mag a while back that laid it out.

well im not goin for a big bad race motor, just a nice solid different powertrain in my c10