View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #52
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

Things to do when you are broke or waiting of parts arriving (or broke because you're waiting of parts arriving) part 3

Now as ignition coils go the one in that came with my dizzy isn't the worst I've ever seen, however, I couldn't really find anywhere to put it in the engine bay that looked "right". I decided to hide it and given that the distributor is right up against the firewall, inside the cab seemed an obvious place.
The firewall has two flats stamped into it just behind the distributor which are ideal to use as mounting points.
Name:  Coil Mount 2.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  26.0 KB
I had a piece of fairly heavy gauge poly-propylene lying around which was perfect to make a board to hold the coil and there was enough room left over for the relay and circuit breaker for my electric fan.
Name:  Coil board.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  32.0 KB
To mount the board to the firewall I used a couple of rubber "cotton reels". These particular ones were originally intended to for an Austin Mini exhaust and not only are they cheap (at about a $1.50 each) but they provide insulation from vibration and electricity. (the picture below should be rotated counter clockwise 90 degrees don't know why it's this way up)
Name:  Coil board mount.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  24.1 KB
The board sits up behind the dash so is barely visible and provides a single place for those odds and ends you don't want cluttering up your engine bay.
Name:  Coil mount.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  56.6 KB
The HT lead disappears through the fire wall with a grommet to protect the wire and seal the hole. Total cost was less than $5 and kept me busy for a whole day
Name:  Distributor.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  56.9 KB
ibrown50 is offline   Reply With Quote