View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #193
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Few random updates this week.

After starting the truck a couple of times last week to mess with the tune and double check for leaks, etc I found the truck charging at over 15v at idle. This seemed like an obvious problem, especially since I had swapped the regulator and didn't really know what I was doing. I did some more research and didn't really come up with much about the swap I did. I decided to pull the alternator and mess with it some more. There was a small pin on the rectifier? that had originally been attached to another small pin on the original regulator. On the new setup they didn't fit together but I figured they needed connected. So I used a piece of house wiring copper wire and soldered the 2 together. Reinstalled in the truck and wouldn't ya know, 13.8v. Sweet!

Yes I suck and forgot to take better pictures.

The more I ran the truck (even just at idle) the more I realized the short exhaust was not gonna work for me. Too drony and putt putt sounding. So I decided instead of buying another ~$150 worth of pipe and spend a day making a tailpipe that I didn't know whether I would like how it sounded I would just make one of my old 3" tailpipes work. I bought a 3.5" to 3" adapter and a stainless clamp to mate the 2. I just had to cut and angle the front of the old pipe and it slid right into the muffler and went into place where it did previously. Im happy with how it sounds.. for now.. More truck sounding and less tractor sounding.

The big project Saturday was to make some clearance on the big rear crossmember for the driveshaft. Under normal conditions there was only about 2-3" between the new shaft and the crossmember. I was worried if I ever had a load in the truck and/or the susp compressed they would contact before the bumpstop got to do its thing.

It was not removeable without removing the bed and cutting all the rivets so I decided to do it under the truck. What a pain to work with. I used a cutoff wheel and sawzall to cut out a section. I then used an old piece of frame that I cut out from the C notch to box it back in. Its NOT pretty but its the best I could do off my back under the truck.

I also modified a small crossmember further up the chassis for the same reasons. It was significantly simpler.

All this work under the truck allowed me to get the truck back on the ground. I spent a little time cleaning up the engine bay. I found one small coolant leak that I tightened the clamp on. Ill check it soon. I did pull the truck out of the garage for a quick minute. (forgot pics as normal). Im hoping if we get any dry days this week or weekend I can take it up the road for a quick trip.

Thanks for following along.