View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #16
OutlawDrifter

Re: Francis the Tow Pig - 1949 GMC 250 Dually

Well, as with most things in life, you get thrown some curve balls. Tranny issue is being taken care of in my DD Thursday. In the meantime, I ran across a 2010 2500HD spec'd out exactly how I wanted...and it followed me home. So the DD has been replaced and will be sold shortly after receiving a rebuilt tranny.

Now that I have a new DD/Tow Pig, we'll be pointing the truck back in the direction of a hot rod. The 6.0L/4L80E combo is sticking around, but I'll be setting the cab on an S10 chassis, and finishing it with a custom built flatbed. I'd really like to keep the dually look, but don't want to run a heavy axle to obtain that, so I may just end up running a 12" wheel with some wide rubber on it for the "look". JC Whitney used to sell a dually kit made by a company called Ricka (from what I can remember), but I can't seem to come up with much info, and JCW no longer carries the parts. I'll step the cam up to a stage 2 or 3 BTR Truck Cam and finish it out that way. I have my two budgets on spreadsheets, side by side(including my 30% overage/didn't think of that stuff), and the S10/hot rod build is a few thousand cheaper.

Still not interested in building a max effort high HP pickup. I'm focusing on reliability and comfort, with a little added flare and style.

I'll hopefully be moving all my stuff from the garage to my new shop (75') this weekend. The GMC will be back in KS the weekend of May 6th. Then the real work can start.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote