View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #178
HunterRotten

Re: The Hawaiian Blue 1978 GMC.

Hunter's 1978 GMC Build

So, at some point along the line my dad and I decided to go with a clutch fan. Electric fans were too pricey for me to swallow and we figured a clutch fan has worked in stock trucks for years, it should be fine for us.

We were very wrong about one thing, at least. Installing a darn clutch fan was no easier than electric fans, and was actually probably a little more difficult. I had to find a shroud somewhere. For awhile I really struggled to track one down until I decided to check rock auto. They had one and it was CHEAP! (LESS THAN $20 SHIPPED!!!!) GM3110122 is the part number.

Now I had to get a fan and clutch. We checked locally, people wanted like $50 for the fan and $90 for the clutch. Uhhhh.. no thanks, guy! I know it's important to keep your local businesses in business, but I ended up finding a friggen 9 blade fan 3x bigger than my head with the massive clutch on it that was reverse rotation(88-00 serpentine) for $75.00 shipped.

Seem's like a pretty straightforward process thus far, right? Well. Like all things on this truck, I needed a spacer. This time it was the water pump so I could get enough room to mount the fan to it. It took me a little while to track down just what I needed, I ended up ordering from a company out of Vermont called Island Racing VT that machines some about the right thickness I was looking for. https://www.islandracingvt.com/store...r-pump-spacers

I don't have a picture of the ones that arrived, but they do in fact come with O-Rings. The pictures don't show it on their site.

HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote