View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 11:52 PM   #27
Praxiss454

Re: Newbie thinking about diving into a '65 GMC 1000

Okay, here is what else I found out.

1. Generally the body is in pretty good shape. The only part that looks to have been previously (and poorly) repaired is the left rear panel. Looks like there is a bit of bondo, and then I guess the guy got in another accident? Not really sure. The bed of the truck is all rotted wood, but it looks like the hardware is still there.

2. There is some funky wiring going on.
<EDIT: picture disappeared - check later post>

We put in a battery, hooked up some new gas, and tried to fire it up. The push button ignition would turn over, but it wouldn't catch. Discovered the spark plugs were not sparking. Tested the voltage on either side of the coil, and it wasn't getting any juice. Figured somewhere in the wiring nest something wasn't connected, so I jumped from the battery directly to either side of the coil. Not sure if this was advisable, but in any case it didn't work, and we still didn't get a spark. HOWEVER, when I jumped in this fashion, the dash indicators all turned on and started working. They previously were all dead, and I assumed it was a fuse problem.

I also wanted to see if it would roll, so popped it in neutral and my buddy hooked up a tow strap. We moved it about 30 ft in neutral while I tested the steering and brakes. Pedal brake didn't work, but hand brake did.

So, I'm feeling pretty good about the truck. It needs a ton of work, but I feel like I can figure out this electrical gremlin and get it running. With a bit of cleanup and minor maintenance I think I'd be in business.

We haven't finalized a price yet, but I am planning to make an offer this week.

Last edited by Praxiss454; 08-14-2016 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Problem with photos showing up.
Praxiss454 is offline   Reply With Quote