View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 02:03 AM   #80
Steve Van Gent

Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ66GMC View Post
First I want to thank Steve for this great thread and info to get my thoughts on this going again. For some time I figured that I could come up with something similar to the Nu-Relic's setup and never got around to it...

Thanks for your hard work and sharing Steve!

I had an old passenger side OEM regulator that had striped out splines on the crank shaft. Perfect for giving this a shot. I ordered the (4) motors from Amazon and had them in 2 days.

I followed your build but made a slight modification. I extended the regulator base so that I can mount the motor bracket to the regulator using the 3 intended mounting points. I had some scrap 16 gauge sheet metal which is the same thickness as the OEM regulator base.

I used your method of mounting the motor bracket to the regulator with 2 small sms/nuts in the 2 holes from the original hand crank rivits so that I could then drill out the holes for the 3 bigger mounting tabs.

It now bolts up to the base and is very solid. I tested it and it works perfect! The only issue is the rusty tension spring squeaking and creaking going up and down...

It took about 4hrs total for the one side. Now I just need to decide if I should get new regulators or hope the old OEM units hold up...

Steve, how's the quality of the regulator that you purchased?

Thanks again!
Hi Tony- great work! Love the fact you added material to bolt bracket to. I kept thinking that it must be in same plane as original mount, otherwise the teeth might not have enough overlap to stay engaged (slip if right on edge of tooth). You will need to let me know if this ever becomes issue.

The new regulator appears good quality, nice and tight action at scissor point. However, I will not know until i get few hours use on them.

FYI-the spring may not be needed at all, in fact, the Nu Relics has no spring with same motor. I probably will not put springs in after using for while, seems like not needed. I will keep you posted.
Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote