View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Pro Tour/Pro Street trucks

I know when I was playing around with a 70 Nova I had I originally put coil over shocks in the factory position. They were used to give some progressive spring rate, and adjustibility to the mono leaf I had. On this set up the shocks were set up pretty stiff, and I used about a 75lb spring.

Then I recreated a brace I saw used in a magazine to move the shocks outward, and straight up, and down. Still staggered of course. The difference was amazing, and I had to reduce the dampening of the shocks for the same ride. Also I eventually used lighter springs to reduce the progressive rate I built in.

So with the pro-street a couple of posts up it will drive fine, and only have a slightly decreased turning circle. Like when making a U turn, and likely not to noticeable when driving around. Provided he runs a decent front tire. Pizza cutter will only exaggerate the issue. If he uses stock or stiffer springs with a KYB shock it should be fun to buzz around in, and be fun at the track with a big motor.

If you read the make it handle thread it has lots of great ideas.

My truck future plan is to move the lower A-arm forward 1 inch for better handling. Then maybe slightly lower the upper one about an 1/8-1/4 if I find supporting info on it. I will remove quite a few leafs from my C20 so the rear doesn't shock my teeth anymore, and add sleeve bags for load capacity. Maybe add quad shocks for giggles or cool looks. The truck will sit fairly level with 265/70/16 at's with about a 2" drop so the tires sit about 1/2 above the wheel well. This way I can storm dirt roads, the freeway, corners, my short a$$ can reach in the bed easier, and haul or tow anything I reasonably would need too.

Either way you decide you have to weigh the possibilities, and see how the effect you concept. Either good or bad you'll have compromises to work through. All you can do is minimize the ones you don't want, and add to the ones you like. I would start with ride height to get your camper where you want it, and build from there. Everything else works regardless of ride height. Except tires which can often be dependent on ride height.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote