View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
ksshane

4sp manual - can I make it better?

I have a 4sp manual transmission, and I keep thinking about swapping to an automatic, but Im worried Ill kick myself once I do. I just enjoy driving manual transmission more, and the kid in me reverts back to my first car when I drive my truck.

But here is my problem. The gearing is horrible. I have to start in 2nd gear and Im moving into 3rd within 20 feet, and into 4th gear by the time I hit 30 miles an hour.

Obviously switching the gears in the rear will help with this..... But the thing is. Even when Im at a complete stop I cannot get the truck into 1st gear. So there is something going on.

I dont see any talk about rebuilding these transmissions on the board. Is it even worth it? Is there another manual transmission that is a direct bolt in?
If I do go through the trouble of having this transmission rebuilt is there anything else I should do while I have it out to make it a smoother transmission? For example should I install some sort of updated clutch plate?

What gears should I put in the rear end? Ill be doing mostly city driving and some highway.

Eventually the truck will be a cruiser. Something for me and my son to enjoy (well we already do that... he is constantly asking me what we are going to do next to the truck).

I appreciate all of your feedback.