View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #16
weq92f

Re: bbc retrofit roller update

I'll be using COMP 854-16 roller lifters ( part of their full roller kit ).

I'v read so many accounts of noise related to these XE/XR ( roller ) cam kits. My machine shop warned me of some noise from the lifter "arms" that attach pairs of them to keep the roller tips properly aligned with the cam lobes. This is something I'm willing to accept for the benefits of the roller. I don't want the dreaded sewing machine clatter that has been reported.

If the geometry of the valve train is correct, all the components are correct, clearances are proper and it's all installed right, there's no reason for the rest of the components to make any more noise than a non-roller setup. That is, aside from the harder/faster action of the valves.

In many cases, these online forum discussions of noisy retrofit roller setups were resolved by a combination of proper lash adjustment ( sometimes a full turn after 0 lash, sometimes only a quarter turn ), run time and/or faulty lifters/rockers. Most of the discussions were from earlier times like circa 2006 through 2010 for example.

Another thing I noticed was that most of the excessive noise Extreme Energy threads I looked through ( random sample from google ) were on small blocks. May not even matter.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is online now   Reply With Quote