View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Guitarmaker

350 Vortec; convert to carbureted and HEI ignition possible?

I've just been offered a 1996 350 Vortec; owner's a friend, and he's scrapping the entire truck. The engine runs, but it leaks antifreeze(intake gaskets, most likely). Since it's free(can't beat the price!), I'm tempted to grab it for a later rebuild. I'm keeping an eye open for a beater '66 to make into a simple street ride/daily driver/summer parts truck/trailer hauler. I know the electronics and fuel system can be made to work in the older truck(though I'm not getting the wiring harness or ECM or transmission; just the engine), I'm old school and for a long time was the go-to carb guy in these parts. I still have a box full of Holley's and Q-jets and tons of jets and power valves and all. In other words, carbs don't worry me none and I can set them up to run on the verge of perfect. Besides, I think old Holleys look mighty fine sitting on top of an aluminum intake, especially in a period-correct truck! I have everything from a 390 CFM to a 850 with milled choke horn and polished venturies available. Also 350 CFM and 500 CFM two barrel Holleys(from the dirt track days when we had to run 2 barrel carbs only). I also have a good Accel HEI distributor and coil and all, and again, with it's one wire connection, life is so simple.

Questions:

I see that aluminum intakes are available for small block chevys and vortec heads; I take it that a complete vortec block and engine can use these, also?

Will the older distributor drop-in and work? I assume the oil pump drive is still the same?

Any other surprises that would make this a challenge?

If this is do-able, I'd rebuild the engine(been there on older engines, not afraid of this one), and even keep the stock cam if it's in good shape. I'm not looking for more power than the stock vortec made anyhow, and if anything, I'd cam it for more low end grunt if possible.

I think the good flowing heads and roller cam and modern oil-leak fixes of the vortec would make this a no-brainer, but I want to check-in with y'all to see if it's at least doable. All Google searching leads me to is folks running vortec heads on regular small blocks, in high perf. uses. I just want a simple, reliable build.

See a trend, here?

Last edited by Guitarmaker; 12-14-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Guitarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote