View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #21
sloGMC

Re: Optional rear springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
My '70 Longhorn says "H D REAR SPRING" and is option code G50. Leaf springs, though that is not spelled out, like Mark's G70 reads. I wonder what the difference is? GVW? Mine is 7500 Lbsaccording to the plate on the door jamb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
My '70 Longhorn says "H D REAR SPRING" and is option code G50. Leaf springs, though that is not spelled out, like Mark's G70 reads. I wonder what the difference is? GVW? Mine is 7500 Lbs.
G50 is a change in spring rating for both leafs and coil, therefore without G70 the truck should have coil, except in the case of Longhorn where coil is specifically called out as not available.

G70 for 3/4 ton calls out 3-4 specific options: Dana rear axle (and larger drums), Rear HD shocks (RPO G68), 4.56 ratio with certain drive train, 2000lb springs (standard on Longhorn). I do not have anecdotal data, but it seems that Longhorns either could not come with a Dana 60 or any one of the other options included with G70, or it was base equipment and therefore not included.

As for the GMC leaf vs coil debate, I have seen no documentation that supports leafs being standard equipment. In fact, advertising lit (which is not infallible) for 1971 lists both leaf and coil as optional, and neither as standard. My guess until proven otherwise is that coil was standard, but GMC as a brand (possibly catering to fleet/commercial buyers) ordered leaf suspension unless a customer was placing an individual order and specifying otherwise.