Thread: Got Rust?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 05:56 AM   #32
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Re: Got Rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURRTY View Post
One big reason for me is that I am a fabricator/welder and used to be a pipe welder. I have more consumables (aside from any primer paint......) than I have room for. the grand or more in sheet metal plus other parts to get it running will still get me under what an even close to rust free blazer would cost around here. South of me in AZ they know what there rust free rides are worth. Then add a ton more if the thing has a good engine and drive train. id be looking at close to 10 grand.

Mine has a bone stock but rebuilt 350 and a good drive train, all the outer sheetmetal has been replaced or patched. good top so I took it over the built up rusty ones or the high priced rust repaired ones. Plus when its done(this is the most important to me) is when I get asked did you do the work? buy it like that or pay to have someone do it? I can say HELL YES I BUILT IT and its EXACTLY how I want it.

Its going to be sixes on the money saving too. If planned out properly both ways can be cheap or expensive.

Jeff
Well put!

And in addition to that, it's alot easier to lay down 10 grand over a period of 2 or 3 years, then all in 1 day. I also looked at the route of buying something in great shape, but finding this is tough to do, plus everything I found from down south still needed inner and outer rockers and sometimes more, unless you've got 12 to 20 grand to spend, and I don't. But everyone is different and this just makes more sense to me.

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09

Last edited by Chevyman63; 06-21-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote