View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #105
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Re: Old Girl (aka Project Underhaulin)

It's been a week since the last update. The brakes are done, tested and pads bedded. we need a little more time driving to really have a sense of how well they work but the initial impression is they work very well.

The rear end rebuild is progressing but we've had a setback, a noise while accelerating. I spoke to the tech line at Richmond Gear and after emailing pictures of the contact pattern he suggested more pinion depth. I thought we were within the + .002" tolerance but after checking the notes we were more like .003" shallow. Crazy how one or two thousandths can make a big difference. I'm defintitley glad my son (c10punk) suggested taking pics of the pattern as it made it much easier to deal with tech support. I ordered new pinion bearing, seal, and crush sleeve and hope have it all swapped out and reinstalled tonight. I am amazed that the rearend didn't make any noise with no crush sleeve to set pinion bearing preload and ZERO preload on the carrier but howls when I'm off on the pinion depth by .003".

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green