View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #33
44boggers

Re: American in Austria 83 Build

Hey guys, I am back in Euro Land meaning I can work on my project again. Got some small things done yesterday and today. I brought back about 10 lbs worth of grade 8 hardware to finish bolting the front end together as well as permanently mounting the fuel cell in the rear.

I did the final assembly on the front brake system which entailed, loc tighting the rotor/rotor hat assembly together as well as safety wiring the bolts down. Lastly I added one more .035 shim to the front caliper to get it centered on the rotor.

Put new wheel bearings and seals in the rear end, and began to put the rear brake system together. This is where I ran into a snag. The caliper mounting bracket is to thick so the caliper can't be centered on the rotor. So I need to take it apart and have about 3.53mm shaved off it, then it should be good to go. Other than that, I have the axle back under the truck, bolted in, the carrier is bolted back up and diff cover is sealed.

Next on the list is to mount the motor back on the frame so I can figure out where I need to drill the frame for the new transmission mount. Once that is done, its time to tear the motor apart and get it ready for the machine shop.

I brought back basically an entire motor worth of parts from the US. I bought a rotating assembly with a forged scat crank, mahle pistons and rods, new bearings, rings. Going to run a Lunati roller camshaft (mild cam, about 490 lift, with 1:5.5 rockers should be around 510 total lift), so very streetable. Going to zero deck the block , bringing compression to around 10.2:1. I bought a set of Trick Flow specialties aluminum heads, 7 qt moroso oil pan with all of the goodies, deep cast aluminum transmission oil pan, double roller timing chain. Only thing left for the motor is the ignition system, fuel system, harmonic balancer, scorpian roller rockers, and intake manifold.

I am staying with the 305 the truck came with. I think with this set up I can get the power numbers in the 300s or so. Nice thing is here in Austria, they offer 95 octane and 100 octane at the pumps!

Ok just a couple pics for you guys. Till next time

Paul

You can see in the first picture of the rear brake assembly, there are three allen head bolts that hold the caliper mounting bracket to another bracket that is bolted to the assembly, It is the thicker bracket that I need to machine down, which will allow the rotor to move inboard enough to center the caliper and rotor.
Attached Images

44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote