Thread: Backwoods '66
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
gtcox

Re: Backwoods '66

"Just hook a chain to it!"

Caution, this may be painful for everyone.

After getting the doghouse and doors off, I took the bottom of the bed off. The original bottom and rails were long gone and had been replaced by some sort of sheet metal sandwich composite thing. I think that's the technical term. Underneath was a lovely surprise...

...I just don't know what I'm going to do about that yet. I think the story behind that bent rear rail went like this.

Redneck had something heavy to pull and hooked a chain to the front bar under the radiator support where that hole in the center is...that bend and snapped.

They then hooked whatever it was to the rear bumper. And the bumper ripped off. THEN they hooked it to that rail you see bent there...which pulled it off one rivet on the top left there and bent it some.

There's a special place in hell for people like that, right?

That's with the bed unbolted and pulled back slightly. The bed itself only had the rear left and front right bolts in it. 2 bolts, one bed. Might be one of the reasons my truck rattled so bad.

The front one isn't bent/twisted that badly. But still bad. I think if it's heated with a torch it can be bent back? And then fabbed. The rear one I think it would just be better to make a new one, right? What sucks is that due to a welding accident/death in the family, doing any welding myself is a big no-no just to keep everyone happy, so I'm going to have to find someone to do that and all the cab patching for a decent price.
gtcox is offline   Reply With Quote