Thread: Backwoods '66
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #17
McMurphy

Re: Backwoods '66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcox View Post
I knew someone would. I would probably put one in if I could get it dirt cheap and it made around 400+ hp. Who could turn something like that down?

I thought the heating/bending would be a good option in the front at least. As for the gas tank and rear relocation, I think I want to stick with the in-cab despite the fact that a tank relocation would make room for some nice speakers and all. But I like the fill location in the side of the cab too much. Don't know why, just do.
Wow .... I gotta laugh mostly at your own good humor, but you sound a lot like me when I was a tad younger, with a few tools a lot of energy, and some cool ideas!!
The chevy 305 is a fine motor, pretty dependable if you take care of it (like anything) but the HP to engine weight ratio is just not there.

I am going to put my "66 Tempest on a dyno this summer while I am home and with the Sprint built OHC6 230 in front of a BOP turbo 350 tranny, I am looking to get at least 215 horse. But that is with 1/3 less engine weight than a small block V8 (ok maybe a tad off on the weight difference by a pound or two)
Though on mine I am not looking scream off the line, I am going more for the wow factor at the end of the line when I pop the hood and people see an uncommon IL6 under there

You do have some work cut out for you, too bad for the welding taboo in your family. That is going to cost you!!

While you have it apart you may want to look at the rear mounted and larger fuel cell, especially with a V8 under the hood !!

Really cool thread so far, please keep us in pics, you got a fun read going on here!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote