View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 02:39 AM   #1
Cautrell05

It's my turn, 47 S10 build

After way to long I finally get to build one for myself, sort of. 40 years old, married father of 3 with another on the way. Going to have my kids help on this one when they can. This isn't my first build though. Been a GM mechanic for most of the last 20 years. During that time I have been lucky to have bosses that like toys.

The first truck I built was a 50 panel van that he found in a field somewhere. Used a 70s camaro subframe, pickup steering column, booster, and wiring harness. He pretty much left the build up to me, which is surprising considering I was only 20 at the time.

That was the last picture I got of it before I left the dealership in 2000. Never did get to see it finished.

I took a break in the middle of the panel van to build a 47 for a customer. 4 days a week for 6 weeks. Similar to the panel build. Also used a camaro subframe. Used an 80s van column this time. Mainly for the column shift and the built in shift indicator. The same camaro the subframe came from also donated the 305/th350 and rear end. He also found a GM under dash a.c. unit for it also.

The owners wife was seen driving it almost daily so it must have turned out good. In hindsight, the camaro front end was probably not the best choice. The panel had 8 inch wheels on the front and the sidewalls rubbed and the 47 just barely cleared with 7 inch rims.

We also did a 57 panel that was put on a shortened 74 4WD frame. Only got one picture. Back before camera phones. Good old 35mm

Both panel vans were finished after I left and sold somewhere out east last I heard. Sure would love to see how they turned out.
About 7 years ago I built a 68 4 door Impala for my mom and her husband. Original 307 power glide, factory a.c. and power steering.

It got a full rebuild minus pulling the body off the frame. All new bushings, springs, shocks, power disk upgrade, sway bars front and rear, a fuel injected crate motor, overdrive and cruise. Took a little over 2 years but the end result was worth it.

Now for the fun part. A little while ago a guy I worked with messaged me asking if I wanted to buy a 47 pickup. I was kinda torn between that's pretty cool and I have to many projects as it is. Showed the pictures to my wife and she was on board with it.

Brought it home where it sat while I started rounding up parts.

Unloaded for the next step

After what turned out to be a lot harder to find than expected, I finally found a donor chassis. 91, 4.3, 700R4. Only a 5 hour round trip to get it.

The next step is to get the S10 stripped. I cheated and took it to work. Pulled the bumpers and all the cab bolts and box bolts on a hoist as well as the exhaust and e-brake. Put enough back in to trailer it home but that should save a lot of time at home.

Current plans,
400 small block, camel backs, Holley flange cast intake, Chevrolet scripted valve covers and center dump manifolds,
700r4 with some up grades
S10 chassis, B-body spindles and brakes, nine inch rear end.
Cut coils up front, leaf springs for now out back.
AC at some point.
Still deciding on a color for the body.

Sorry for the long post. Any comments or suggestions are always welcome

Nick
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote