View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #15
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Thanks all you guys for the encouragement.

I drove her home on the freeway 8-10 miles probably making 55 mph just fine. Brakes were excellent but I've got to get in there and see for myself or I'll not be comfortable. I'll flush the fluid at minimum but the old single master cylinder also makes me nervous. Does CPP (others?) make a direct replacement frame mount that is idiot-simple for me to install? Safety first is my motto so the mismatched lousy front rollers will go soon. I'm looking for a deal on 235/70's for the TT's I mentioned above. Truck actually has a fairly aggressive lope at idle. The gas guage (he put a new tank sensor in), oil pressure (good & solid on the idiot factory guage) and ammeter work fine. PO said the temp did but he broke something reaching behind dash - I'll take a look.

Chevyrestoguy - Yes, I agree completely. When you say "flush" do you mean drain/refill or are you suggesting something more positive to flush debris? PO said he pulled the valve covers and there was zero sludge and he felt the original owner was not BS'ing when he said it was a "recent" rebuild when he parked it in '91. PO admits he never changed the oil (WTF?!). I blew out a TON of crap from the cancer hole, under seat - which is loose & I suspect not original - how to tell? Windshield is fairly pitted and has a couple bad deep scrapes from wiper arms. I've got additional pic's but the cord to download them is in my office. I'll update tomorrow. Planning on using Valvoline or Castrol GTX - Weight for this oldie assuming it is rebuilt? What trans fluid is the right one? Same for rearend?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote