View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
lasmith03

Re: 69 C10 Heater Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
There is one problem with having the heater wire connected to the ignition switch at the green wire terminal. Remember I said that the green wire terminal and the tan wire terminals were grounded when the key was turned to start. This means that the hot brown wire would be grounded on start which would blow the heater fuse instantly. Was your heater fuse blown or blowing fuses when you started the truck? Some of the key switches would cut out the accessory circuits during the start cycle which would cut the power to the heater wire when the key was in start. I don't remember if the 67 to 72 key switches had that feature or not. If they did then the fuse would be dead during start and not blow.
VetteVet thanks for all the help!!! I crawled under there and looked at it again yesterday. I'm positive that the brown wire in the iginition is the heater wire now because the length of this wire is way longer than the other wires in the loom (plus I ran it back to the fuse block like I said). The PO must have plugged it in there incorrectly when wiring back up the truck. I'm going to move it over to the heater. I'll let you know how everything goes once I have got everything put back together. I'm also sorting out the wiring harness under the hood (burnt frayed wires). PO put in an HEI distributor and a one wire alternator and evidently didn't do it right the first time.

I'll post an update once its all finished.
lasmith03 is offline   Reply With Quote