View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
Kudzupatch

Before and after wheel polish

I have been looking for a new set of wheels for a while but couldn't settle on what style I wanted. Finally just decided to keep these for a while.

I accidentally got some carb cleaner on one of the wheels and it stripped the clear coat off in spots and looked terrible. I have debating on stripping and polishing these for a while and since I had to have new tires put on the next day I decided it was a good time to strip and polish them.

Hubs come out mirror like, a bit to much so. The wheels because of the machine finish don't have the same shine but man do they look better.

Used Orange stripper and the clear coat came off very easy. Just keep it wet and when everything is loose just hose it off. Just don't rush of you will have spots you will have to do again.

Then I used Mothers aluminum polish, by hand. They are so clean it took very little to get a shine on them. You could work these to a mirror finish you wanted. You would have to work down the machine grooves in the wheel with a powered polisher and some abrasive polish. I put a coat of paste wax over that and I was done. 45 minutes to do one wheel from taking it off to back on the car.

They will be more work to keep looking good but I don't mind and I won't let them go to long between cleaning.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote