View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 12:25 AM   #1
chevyidaho96

1977 Chevy Silverado half ton Suburban help!

Hey everyone! I'm new here. Live in good ol' Idaho. Aquired this beast a little over a week ago. Traded my 99 Grand Prix GT plus $250 for it. I've been stranded in it 3 times so far including once the first night I had it. Two times were battery, the first time was the accelerator cable coming off the gas pedal and being stretched out. Anyways, it has an exahust leak of which me and my cousin who is a mechanic are trying to tackle. We got the exhaust manifold off but two of the bolts are rusted in there and will not come out no matter what so we are going to replace that exhaust manifold. Anyways, besides the exhaust leak, the suburban itself runs and sounds like ****. Someone who owned it before me thought it'd be a good idea to install dual glasspacks on it. It has the 350 small block engine in it and normally those have quite a bit more power than this one does. We added some oil to it the other day because there was hardly any in it. Seemed to run a little better but had kind of a knock. I'm thinking it was low on oil for a bit after I got it and thats part of why it sounded bad and was running rough. It didnt seem to have a knock before I got stranded and it was running decently. As for the exhaust leak, I'm thinking because of the extent of it, that is the cause for the lack of power but I'm also thinking the engine itself being low on oil is another reason for lack of power. Transmission shifts fine. The vehicle itself is really fun to drive and I got alot of complements on it when I would drive it. The front and rear main seals are also bad, and transmission leaks from the transmission vent hose, the battery is 7 years old, the previous owner changed the spark plugs and wires and did a ****ty job of it and put some of the wires on backwards of which me and my cousin had to fix, and the previous owner also ducktaped two of the wires, the battery is 7 years old, the carburetor needs rebuilt, the accelerator cable is currently rednecked thanks to me so the vehicle can at least be driven, and the glass in the tailgate doesn't roll down more than an inch. So my question is, is this thing worth fixing at least to the point where I can drive it? Did I really get myself into a money pit? If I fix it and do the work myself or have other people help me, would it be worth it? Would it be pretty reliable if I fix it? Are these engines pretty easy to work on? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

chevyidaho96 is offline   Reply With Quote