View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 06:00 AM   #10
Grumpy old man

Re: Build front suspension before or after mounting the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Nice. I already pulled the suspension, I'm more curious about building it without an engine on the frame.

Any considerations for assembling the control arm shafts, other than to make sure the hole in the lower shaft faces 12 o-clock? By chance did you spot weld the shaft nuts onto the control arms? I don't know that there's a reason to, but the originals were spot welded. Some don't even know they exist, my parts guy swears they were never spot welded.
There were no welds on mine when I disassembled them . before I installed the arms I cleaned and greased the threads and ran the new shaft caps all the way in on the bench ( without the shafts in place ) and they were really tight (mating 50 year old parts with new ) I just refinished the arms and shafts and I wasn't about to just clamp them in a vise to assemble So after thinking about it for a few I decided to mount the shafts in the frame and use the frame to hold the shafts while installing the arms/caps . ( this works being that it's a bare frame and nothings in the way ) And it worked better than I had planned . I used a 15"cresent wrench and armstong to tighten it all up and that made it easy to count rotations and balance the thread count. the last few threads required a helper bar on every cap.they all came up flush to the arms.and float like butter when done .I'll get some more pictures this morning .

Here is a good thread with good pictures ,Start at post 17 . .http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=560841

Can't stress enough about having clean threads , After looking at these pics I think mounting the shafts on the frame first is easier when working on a bare frame .

these are all new Moog shafts .
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 11-27-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote