View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 12:07 AM   #15
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build front suspension before or after mounting the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
There were no welds on mine when I disassembled them . before I installed the arms I cleaned and greased the threads and ran the new shaft caps all the way in on the bench ( without the shafts in place ) and they were really tight (mating 50 year old parts with new ) I just refinished the arms and shafts and I wasn't about to just clamp them in a vise to assemble So after thinking about it for a few I decided to mount the shafts in the frame and use the frame to hold the shafts while installing the arms/caps . ( this works being that it's a bare frame and nothings in the way ) And it worked better than I had planned . I used a 15"cresent wrench and armstong to tighten it all up and that made it easy to count rotations and balance the thread count. the last few threads required a helper bar on every cap.they all came up flush to the arms.and float like butter when done .I'll get some more pictures this morning .

Here is a good thread with good pictures ,Start at post 17 . .http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=560841

Can't stress enough about having clean threads , After looking at these pics I think mounting the shafts on the frame first is easier when working on a bare frame .

these are all new Moog shafts .
Great info. Grumpy, and I'll do just that. I was contemplating having my shafts finished as well (Moog), but being yours look so nice, I think I'll have them powder coated as opposed the paint prison alternative.

I'll check out the link, thanks........Edit, just read it, nice. I didn't realize the "dimple" in the lower control arm shaft wasn't straight up 12 O-clock. I like your way of doing it, skip the vise and mount the shafts first.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-28-2018 at 12:25 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote