View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 10:13 PM   #27
1project2many

Re: DIY Exhaust - Cutting Tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
I've been watching this thread. I plan to use my donors exhaust and I think I just need to shorten it. One cut and weld it up... wish me luck lol.

Are there any rules of thumb for exhaust clearance? Distance from cab, frame, rear axle, and the bottom of the wood bed? Should I get or use heat shields for the bed and under cab where the gas tank is?
Good luck! Shielding depends on how hot the exhaust will get and how close it runs to tank & other stuff. Under the tank, if the pipes are 2-3" away, it's definitely a good idea. Near starter wires or starter, or near master cylinder, 3-4" is nice if you can get it. Otherwise shielding is a good idea.

It's rare to hear someone say they have to remove an exhaust shield because parts are not heating up enough.

Also, to the OP, I was taught to cut pipe with a hack saw by a pipefitter from a paper mill. Paper slurry will build up and plug a pipe in a hurry if the joints aren't perfect. The trick to good cuts and joints that fil together well is to use a good pattern and to cut small sections at a time with the saw. A band of paper taped to the pipe, wrapped around, and taped back to itself serves as a guide. Cut a little, turn the pipe, cut again. Works well.

Last edited by 1project2many; 07-16-2018 at 10:22 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote