View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #21
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Should the driving age be 18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Families were larger back then and parents didn't just hand out money , you needed money to take your favorite girl on a date to the drive in so that means gas . movie tickets , pop corn and cokes that could cost almost $5.00 ! It was normal to start a family at 20 or even younger , by 18 you would have your own place a serious girlfriend and maybe a kid on the way . none of this stuff we have going on today .
not to argue, but that sounds like "wants" not needs and all for the sake of entertainment, plus yeah it was like that then but times have changed, people don't get married now until into their 30's (thank god) more mature I hope, better established, more educated, etc.

I also give my kids allowance, of course they do house chores to earn it, so I still don't see a need for teenage employment

and yes cars were a way of escape in the 50s and 60s and a way to independence, but now they have the INTERNET, lol, they have YouTube, they order everything on Amazon and it is delivered to their (ok our) door step, so there's really no need for a car

plus I can argue that you can telecommute and work from home

again not arguing just making the opposite case from my own families experience both mine growing up and my kids
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote