View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
AustinBelair

Can anyone help me get this truck running correctly?

I don't have any cool or pretty pics to post but I need some help. I've been trying to get this 87 V6 TBI truck that I bought recently to run good. I had a code 32 at first which is EGR so I bought a new EGR valve and solenoid. The code 32 is gone but I am still having some kind of issue.

When I first start it it fires up and idles okay for a second or two then stumbles pretty badly then idles up and it kind of evens out then idles okay. I can hear a clatter under the truck briefly and I have a pretty bad vibration at idle. When at a stop light It vibrates pretty bad then as I gas it, it feels normal. It also feels better in park or Neutral but you can tell there is a vibration still.

The only other thing I have noticed is a FUNKY foul metallic burning smell when I drive it around the block. Not a rotten egg smell like a bad converter but it's almost bad enough to make you want to choke. I smelled the tailpipe and it's definitely coming from the exhaust.

The trans (TH350) fluid looks good, the oil looks good, power steering fluid is topped off. Flexplate looks good and was replaced 7 years ago. Did not see any cracks or defects. Converter bolts were tight. Does not appear to be a counter-balance shaft engine. Harmonic balancer does not wobble at all. Belt stays true and straight at idle. At start-up when cold I have a puff of smoke so I am assuming valve guides or seals.

So far I have replaced:

- Most of the vacuum under hood with silicone high temp hose
- EGR valve
- EGR solenoid
- TB base gasket
- 6 Spark plugs
- Air filter
- Passenger side motor mount (Still need to do drivers)
- All cab and core support mounts with poly
- Starter