View Single Post
Old 07-14-2022, 10:30 PM   #85
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

Rear shocks are in. Wasn't as easy as it should have been. The upper mount of the vertical shocks have cups that fit under and above the rubber bushings. The upper cup had to be ground down on one side so it would fit against the frame rails. Then I had to make spacers for the rear end of the quad shocks to have a little bit of clearance between the vertical and quad shocks. They are very close. The OEM quad shocks don't have a cover cylinder over the exposed shaft. I bought the KYB version so it's close. If they rub I'll do some trimming on the quad shocks.

Then I get to the end of the instructions for the axle install and it tells me how to install the limit straps. The lower end goes on the lower shock bolt. FFS really? Getting those bolts in the first time was a struggle. Having to hold the shock against it's internal pressure while fitting washers for spacers produced an extreme amount of sweat. I seriously considered drilling another hole in the brackets instead of redoing that.

Instead I got a ratchet strap to hold the shock and put it on the right way but damn the instructions could have addressed that earlier. BTW, I can still lift the rear of the car after the axle install. Not easily but I can. I doubt I'll be able to once the engine and transmission are in but I think 4 people would be able to lift the finished car.

I got 4 tires that hold air now. This weekend it'll be a roller. Not tomorrow though. Tomorrow I'm going to the street machine nationals in St Paul.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote