View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 12:10 AM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 3.08 Ratios in a K/10 Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoad View Post
I was going to get a set from Colemans for my dads IH Travelall but the gearing with T98 4 speed trans would not work so good together. Back then the pair was $400 delivered to CA.

GM 10 bolt was used from 79-91 in 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks Some argue the strength vs the D44 but at this point I think its more about affordability and availability of parts. In some areas you cant give 10 bolts away, I recently got a free 3/4 ton 10 bolt thrown in when I bought a 14 bolt for $150.

They bolt in place of any 60-91 4x4 front and is OK for up to 35 inch tires. Not sure what people are doing these days to adapt to early steering box, I think most are upgrading to power steering so you just use the late parts.

If it was stored well its fine for a driver, hard core wheeling it needs some upgrades
Now the price is $395 plus $258 delivered to Tucson [if going to a shop that has a forklift].
Yes, my intention is to upgrade to Power Steering and Power Disc Brakes using more modern parts.
My '67 K/10 Sub was not originally configured for power assisted steering. An attempt to put a '69 P/S sector [off a C/10 Panel] was no success. I had unweildy steering geometry, and the gearbox kept sheering off 1/2'' bolts from the frame mount. When I tried to restore the manual gearbox -- with a JB Weld patch on a crack in the casing -- Good steering geometry never was restored. We had chopped the OEM draglink and the replacement wasn't a good feel.
The other major issue was braking. The '67-'68 OEM brake drum was specific to closed knuckle front ends. [Don't know it it's also a '60-'66 part?] But it was prettymuch ineffective.
For a powerplant I'm thinking of an L6 292, with a larger bore [depends on which block I use. One's still unbored and the other ran 250,000 at .030 over.] Add lump ports, HEI. Oversized valves, cam, 4 BBl (or FI), headers. etc. and it's a goer. Also 200 lbs lighter than a BBC. Turbo [mild] is possible but expensive.
Of course only a pipedream for the present.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote