View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Re: Door jamb VIN sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Lethal '72 View Post
I was looking at my 72 and realized the door jamb sticker VIN was not the same as the truck, plus it was a 71 manufacture year.. anyway... I know this sticker is expected to get destroyed, swapped, and what not at this point for these vehicles.

However, I am going to replace the doors with new shells, and wanted to put a new sticker as part of the restore. I found these marketed for similar year Olds 442's:

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pop-...id=DC5182Z.jpg

Its not exactly right, but its what I found.. plus you have to type it yourself.. and the GM font style is nearly impossible to find.. blah, blah, blah..

I really don't care, if its the best I can find then I will use it.. and figure out the rest.

But while searching for these I found a few random posts on various forums about people buying classics with what looked to be a replacement door jamb sticker, and then they became suspect of the vehicle VIN being tampered with.. might be stolen.. etc..

If one day I decided to sell it.. do you think this copy will raise eyebrows and I just shouldn't even apply it?

Any better sources on a correct one?

Thanks.
NOPE: Don't worry about it ...think of it this way ..is it legal? ...if you ask the DMV they will say no.

But you can build an entire vehicle around just the clear vin. sticker/tag.
every single part can be different than what was on that vehicle when it was built. So it comes down to don't ask don't tell ...they probably wouldn't care or ever know as long as the vin comes up clear.

The law really has to do with theft and emissions fraud on late model vehicles ....you can even take a '72 chev and make it a '68 it really doesn't matter unless u bring it to their attention. They would never think about asking its not worth their time if all the paperwork is legit and clear.

Ive taken two parts trucks more than once and put together one good one ....what is it now? what if the cab was destroyed and replaced ..what vin do u use ....see what i mean?
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote