View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #20
gigamanx

Re: 1949 Chevy with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

More progress than I had expected over the past 20 days. I have the S10 in the driveway and drove it around town a bit. This got the brain working as I thought about this build. Am I crazy...some of you may think so.

My thought process is. If I'm dismantling the S10 already to get the other body on, should I consider changing the rear end and drivetrain while its all easily accessible? As I drive the 6 cylinder up the hill to my house, I keep imagining an LS as opposed to the original plan of upgrading to a sbc 350. I have a buddy talking all kinds of smack about his 400hp Camaro and I'd love to wipe that grin off with an old '49 haha.

I originally planned against the LS because I wanted the classic carbureted engine and everything is mechanical to match up the original mechanical gauges. If I go electronic with the fuel, drive by wire, and an ecu, how crazy different do things get? Do I need to replace all my gauges too?

This is really just thinking out loud. As usual, I've already been trolling the forum finding other LS swaps that are done. I admit there is a lot of engine lingo that just makes no sense to me. The actual engine swap doesn't look terribly more difficult than what I'm going to do. I'm already going to have to move the motor mounts for the S10 V6, I'm already going to have the sheet metal off...

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote