View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 08:26 AM   #472
KyleSeal

Re: My 1967 Build (Finally)

Given how close I am to getting the truck on the road, I decided to pause from the brake fiasco and finish the door skin. I used the KeyParts skins. These skins are about 16 gauge from what I can tell, I dont have a reliable gauge. Side by side, the X-Parts skins are way thinner, and are actually too short, width wise. The body line on the KeyParts skins is a stronger, more defined one as well. The down side to the KeyParts skin is that it is a bit too wide. So I cut off the last inch of one side and grind down to fit. With most partial skin replacements, I had to work the edge of the panel. I use some TIG wire (learned from American Hot Rods) and weld, grind and shape that door edge to my will. I did need to add the crown to this door skin, as it was somewhat pressed to a depression, I imagine from storage or when I sandblasted it. So Im not sure if that is common on these. Another great tool is the door skinner hammer. I have this fiber Snap On that I bought specifically for this door after using a brass hammer on the other and nearly killing my arm. This ones got great weight and really laid over that edge and the bent section of the hammer helped send it home.

Name:  IMG_5181.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  54.1 KB Name:  IMG_5182.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  107.9 KB
Name:  IMG_5183.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  39.5 KB Name:  IMG_5187.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  57.3 KB
Name:  IMG_5188.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  91.4 KB

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote