View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
Dave_The_BMXER

51 GMC 'Project Why Wait'

Hey everyone, been lurking around for probably the past 6 months now but figured I'd start a thread because I'm likely going to need a strong community to ask a bunch of questions and all of you are pretty darn helpful from what I've seen.

About 2 years ago I had a bunch of money in a jar I was saving to do silly things (turbo) my Mazda 3 I had at the time. All the while my wife and I would go to classic shows and I would say boy it would be nice to have a project. She said Why Wait, why not now. And the name of the project was born.

After years of blogging on my site stanceiseverything.com I've managed to make an awesome combination of friends who could also help make my first real project possible so the timing seemed perfect, they'll all get introduced as the project progresses. I am also documenting the build on said website here (Project Why Wait On stanceiseverything.com) if you want to see more pics that I have reposted.

So with that said I started pretty actively looking for a proejct.

After looking at a ton of vehicles here in Ontario that were far too much rust and bondo for far too much money my friend Blair (aka Taylor'd Customs aka where the truck is being stored and who I'll be building it with) found someone who picks up trucks from Saskatchewan where they don't use salt and thus things are in much better shape.

[img]

The truck actually arrived on father's day so naturally I plopped my little man in the driver's seat as one day it will be his.

As I mentioned before through blogging I've met a lot of people and the McJannett family behind Performance Improvements are some of those people and they are awesome and immediately signed up to basically help me track down any new parts I need. I've been giving my wallet a work out with them the past few months, but we'll get back to that.

Another friend Chris Piscitelli (Piscitelli Design I made lives out in Detroit and does wicked art work so I got him to do up a few renderings.

[img width="960"]http://www.stanceiseverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/roject-why-wait-Piscitelli-designs-render-2.jpg[/img]

I wanted Astros, wife wanted steels, we both wanted a flaked roof and the door art is a tribute to her father so we are now building towards this currently, I might try and sneak Astros back in at a later date though. This will get framed and put on my wall in the near future.

Then I got to talking with my friend Jeff, who is also a GMC owner and wicked fabricator, and he mentioned that he might want to sell the chassis he started. At this point I was thinking s10 with a back half but his frame made more sense and we both like riding low and a lot of the same things so it made sense to keep the chassis in the family.

So money and high 5s later...

I'll be doing shock mounts, gas tank mounts, rad support etc with Blair but a lot of the chassis is already sorted out which is wicked. From there the truck sat all winter while I did grunt work on this. Great way to get exposure to a lot of different parts of a build.

But spring came around and it was time to work on the truck, or at least tear it down so that's what we did

I have since learned that the front end could have come off as one unit, but hey live and learn right?

Found a few soft spots but nothing earth shattering

More time passed then I found some time to pull the cab off

and then of course slide the new chassis underneath

Excited I cut the rungs out of the bed I bought (hey I bought a bed by the way!) and put it on the chassis to get an idea of what was what

The bed is sitting on the axle and frame here so not really in place, nor is the fender hence the wheel base looking odd

Still though, awesome. Natrually I took a pic of Ash and I in it

The build is currently in another wait period (there will be many of these) but I just went on a bit of a shopping spree and now have

-Fuel Cell
-Front brakes (blazer 2 pistons and related accessories)
-Fuel Cell
-Shocks
-Motor/trans (let you know what soon enough)

I need a few more odds and sods but I have enough to get started on finishing up the chassis once I can free up some time. The goal is epoxy coated chassis bolted together before the year is out. Hopefully my calendar and wallet allow it.

I will no doubt be asking a LOT of questions so you'll see me bouncing around threads. I was a bolt on guy so I'm not all thumbs but this is without a doubt the largest thing I'll have ever built.

...well I did help with a Fiero/Countach kit in higschool but that was a few moons ago...

Also yep some of the pics are kind of big for the site on a desktop, I'll resize them all more consistently for future posts

Last edited by Dave_The_BMXER; 08-05-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Dave_The_BMXER is offline   Reply With Quote