View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #17
Dave_The_BMXER

Re: 51 GMC 'Project Why Wait'

Boy, been awhile, had a tough go for awhile with the weather (I've only got outdoor shop space until the snow flies) but managed to dodge few showers and knock a few things off in the rear of the truck.

Made those carboard mounts into real mounts, got to lay my first TIG welds.

Had Blair zap them on since more experience with the TIG than I, the bed is pushed off to the side here so that's why the mount on the bed isn't sitting completely on the one on the frame.

Next we ran a few more welds over some of the bars that were not welded all the way around and added the rear shock mounts which are speedway studs welded on.

I had made a cradle for the fuel cell a few weeks prior to my last visit so we welded that on as well

The C nothces are pretty high so the fuel cell didn't need to sit particularly low to be under the bedfloor I'll be making awhile from now

The lastly we started on the shock mounts for the front. They were back ordered so we got a local waterjet guy to cut some pieces which we welded together.

I got reaquainted with the MIG welder (over ten years!) on the back side but Blair did the front with the TIG

That's pretty much it for now. The plan is to finish the shock relocation up front next visit then tear it down for sand blasting and paint before the chassis comes to my garage over the winter where I can pluck away.

Winter's coming fast so I have to get my garage free of kitchen reno crap ASAP.

Couple more progress photos are here if you're interested in a little more.
Dave_The_BMXER is offline   Reply With Quote